22 Dec SIDES: Mulled Spiced Chilli Jam
The festive season is looming. I always like to give something homemade in my Christmas hamper, whether it’s Christmas chutney or gingerbread cookies. This year I’m making mulled spiced chilli jam to go along with the Christmas cheeseboard. Although this chilli jam has a festive twist with the mulled spices, but it can be enjoyed anytime. You can also use this in a chicken avocado sandwich or thin it out with water and lemon juice as a dressing or a dip.
- 75g Red Chilli (leave some seeds for heat if you like like hot)
- 75g Sweet Red Pepper
- 500g Jam Sugar (or mix 4.5g Pectin to 500g Granulated Sugar)
- 300ml Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Cardamon pods, seeds only, grounded
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/8 tsp All Spice
- Few twist of Black Pepper
- 2 Jars
- Wash jars in hot soapy water, rinse off soap. Place the jars on a baking tray in a oven heated to 140C/120C fan/gas 1 to dry completely. If using Kilner jars, boil the rubber seals, as dry heat will damage them.
- Freeze a saucer (it sounds weird now, but trust me). Melt jam sugar and cider vinegar in a pot over low heat. Blitz Chilli and peppers.
- Once the sugar is melted and starts to bubble, add the blitzed peppers and spices to sugary vinegar and let it bubble for 10-15 mins until jam is ready. To test if the jam is ready, drop a tiny dollop over the frozen saucer (aha!) and swirl slightly. If the jam wrinkles, it's ready; if not, cook the jam a bit longer.
- Let it cool for 30-40 mins, it wouldn't hurt to give the jam a swirl at this point. Then spoon into sterilised jars.
- You can omit the spices if you want regular chilli jam, this makes a red jewelled jam that is much more translucent than the mulled spiced version.